Brake problem on 1990 Chevrolet Camaro

Rear brakes will not come on when pedal is moved. This is a 1979 Camaro. We have tried master cylinder, proportional valve and checked the line for restrictions. Front brakes are fine, but rear will not engage with or without the engine running.

by in Geneva, NE on December 16, 2010
2 answers 2 comments
ANSWER by on December 18, 2010
Check to see if the rear brake cylinders are rusted solid. You will have to remove the rear wheels and brake drums to check.
COMMENT by on December 19, 2010
Thanks for your answer. We had re-newed the wheel cylinders. The answer to our problem was to power bleed the system rather than use the old pedal method. Seems you learn something everyday!
ANSWER by on December 18, 2010
try bleeding brakes first if that dont work might have to replace wheel cylinders
COMMENT by on December 19, 2010
Thanks. I finally figured out the problem. We were bleeding the brakes with the old pedal method and were not getting any rear brakes. We power bled the system and now the brakes work properly. There must be something in the system that requires pressure to re-set the system. Again, thanks for your help.
recently bought a 1989 camero RS that had been sitting for a year or so. Had quite the time getting it running but with some help from u guys I finally did yeeeeeey :-)thank u for the advise it was...
Brake warning light is on. How do I take apart the parking brake lever and reattach or check hydraulic fluid of the braking system? It is only the brake light, not the ABS INOP light, yet.
no brake lights on rear of car. third brake light works, changed bulbs. turn signals &tail lights work fine just no brake lights any ideas
The tail or brake lights may be dim due to a poor ground connection inside the light socket. Failed light sockets will require replacement.
my drum isnt going back on as easy as the other side