brake light problems on 2002 GMC Savana 1500

when I turn the lights on the top and bottom bulbs come on, when I step on the brake the bottom bulb goes out. (the 3rd brake light works normally all the time) when the lights are off and I step on brake the bottom bulbs come, they are dim though. I can pull the fuse and everything still works as described. I believe its a ground problem, just not sure where to start.

by in Ferndale, WA on May 02, 2010
2 answers
ANSWER by on August 13, 2010
We are having a similar problem, where everything is fine except the passenger side rear light. When the brakes are pressed, it tries to light the marker filament instead of the brake filament (resulting in a very dim brake light when the headlights are off, and no light if the headlights are on. So my question to you is, was this a used van that was previously used by Comcast?
ANSWER by on February 28, 2012
I had the same problem with my 2001 Savana. I found that the 2 sockets for the brake lights were bad. The GM dealer wanted about $110 each side for the rear wiring harnesses’. I found a replacement socket at the local auto parts store for $16 each. They look like the originals but take the rectangular base bulbs. It took about 45 minutes to replace both sides.
when pressing on the brake pedal the brake lights do not engage
The tail light wiring harness in the cargo area is not protected very well. As a result it may become damaged due to normal wear a tear. This damage can causing some or all of the rear lights to ...