Belt tensioner on 1997 Chrysler Town & Country

Trying to replace belt tensioner. What all do you have to take off to get to it?

by in Reynoldsburg, OH on April 25, 2010
2 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by , April 25, 2010
First you must release the tension off the belt. Look in your under hood area and there should be a belt routing diagram. Once you are sure of the routing, then you can rotate the Tensioner so it releases the belt tension. There is typically a hex area where yo can apply torque and then you slip off the belt. The tensioner is held in by bolts, so loosen them and remove it. I don't recommend just doing the pulley, because the spring in the tensioner is worn out about the the same time the pulley fails. Then reverse the process, that is re-install the belt.
COMMENT by , October 23, 2010
no help do you take off the right wheel and splash pan to get to it
ANSWER by , September 08, 2010
To replace the tensioner u pull the pully off and you should see two bolts on either side of the front attached to the bracket...