Battery Problem on 2001 BMW 530i

I just got a 2001 530i and something keeps draining my battery. Has anyone experienced this with their car? I replaced the battery with a new one and 3 days later it is dead. What could be the problem? Any info would greatly be appreciated!

by in Middletown, DE on June 08, 2009
3 answers 5 comments
ANSWER by on June 08, 2009
Start with any thing not BMW does the car have an aftermarket stereo, amplifier, or burglar alarm check for power drain there first. Disconnect the battery and put an amp meter in line with the power cable look for the battery draw, it shouldn't be more than .2 Amps. Start pulling the fuses out one at a time and see pulling which fuse causes the battery draw to go away. When you locate which fuse makes the draw goes away then its down to checking the things protected by that fuse. Have you charged and tested the battery just to make sure you haven't got a bad battery.
3 people like thisFlag inappropiate
COMMENT by on June 10, 2009
Without looking at it, my mechanic said it was probably the alternator. The dealership I bought it from came by and took it to their shop to see what is wrong. Hopefully they will be able to figure it out. I don't have any aftermarket items in the car. It is all basically stock. Just got off phone with shop mechanic. They said they had to replace the alternator.
COMMENT by on June 10, 2009
I have seen Bosch alternators do this before. Disconnecting the alternator they probably saw the draw on the battery go to zero. Hope it wasn't too expensive.
COMMENT by on July 23, 2010
I have the same problem I changed 2 alternator in 3 weeks , and today my car died on my driveway. If you find what was the problem with your car, please let me know, i am desperate cause I spend a lot of money and the same problem is coming back over and over again. Please send me a mesage to simonamathe@yahoo.com. Thank you.
COMMENT by on July 29, 2010
I had the same problem. I found that the fan inside the car was not turning off. Turn the car off and listen for the fan to keep runing.
COMMENT by on September 16, 2010
I had this problem and it was resolved by a really good mechanic in DE. You have to replace a part called the Ënd Unit Resistor. It works!
ANSWER by on June 26, 2010
Yes, it was a bad altenator. JCM
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiateReply
ANSWER by on August 05, 2010
There is a control/relay/resister unit related to the cabin air circulation or AC fan Blower system. When it goes bad, it will suck down your battery in no time at all while the engine is off and the key is removed. It is located on the right hand front passenger "feet" area on the left side (shin high). Remove the thin strip of carpeted trim. You will find a plastic air box unit just above the carpet line. It is mounted to the drive train tunnel. That is the best way to describe the location. The unit has a bunch of aluminum studs protruding from it and these studs dissipate heat while the air is passing by it (when installed). You have probably noticed problems with your automatic low and high fan blower speeds and this is an indication of the problem. A good parts guy can read this and sell you the right part. It was not hard to change. 40 minutes. Brian Mac
3 people like thisFlag inappropiateReply
Something is so very slowly taking my wifes battery down. Ive rechared the battery and 4 weeks later its down again and wont start. Ive checked the CD player thats not it. The mechanic fixed the...
What battery can be used in the 2005 530i versus the dealer battey which cost over $400 to replace? I saw several recommendations for the AutoZone Duralast battery with 850cranking amps in cold we...
The on board computer has been acting strangely and then it shut down completely and now there is no power at all to my vehicle. No lights my key wont make it chirp it is just dead.
I need to replace 110A battery in 05, 530i BMW. Without going to the dealer, what other places sales the type of battery I need for my car? According to the dealer, it's an AGM battery.
My battery keeps going dead I installed a reman alt and battery stayed up for about 3 weeks the car is not a daily driver