There are two very large cables that attach to the battery. The negative cable is normally black and connects to the chassis and/or engine block. The positive cable is normally red and connects to the starter, alternator, and/or fuse box.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Starter will not turn or turns slowly
- Cables and ends may look rotted or damaged
- Loose or corroded terminals
- Heat felt through the insulation of the cables when engine is cranking
Related Repair Advice
- If you attempt to replace battery cables yourself, follow proper procedures. You should always disconnect the cables at the battery first.
- All battery cable connections must be clean and tight