Automatic Transmission May Have Shifting Problems on Dodge Avenger

The automatic transmission can develop problems like erratic shifting, rough shifting, or delayed gear engagement. Repairs for many of these problems are outlined in service bulletins.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 82,371 (3,500–187,000)
12 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
133 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 20 of 83 problem details
2013 Dodge Avenger 3,500 mi,
My car starts the engine runs however it will not engage in gear. It was just running fine a couple of hours ago.
1996 Dodge Avenger 176,295 mi,
1-2shift&3-4 shifts are very late. engine is way too high in rpm range for these gear shift points, and when it does shift, alot of the time its soft and feels weak... BUT the owners mechanic prior to me had over-filled the tranny AND engine!! I drained it & refilled to proper levels,no positive effects yet..
My 2009 dodge avenger will shift fine wnhen i started it up in the morning, but few minutes and it will get stuvk on first or second shift. The rpm also goes really high.
2010 Dodge Avenger 81,400 mi,
It stalls while accelerating and "chugs". Even does it while the cruise control is on, usually while the car is accelerating up a hill. It does the stalling or pausing when accelerating at all speeds. Trying to cross a busy intersection from 0 doesn't work!! Nearly got hit several times.
I had a few "hard starts" around 60k and 80k. It would flutter and not turn over. I would turn car off and restart, then no problem.. Tranny started slipping around 90k mis.. WOuld jerk between 2nd and 3rd gear.. After it hit 100k mis it began getting stuck in 2nd gear. Check engine light came on. One mechanic said it was the transmission cylinoid (electrical issues) another mechanic said the whole thing needed to be replaced. UPSDATE: I ENDED UP HAVING TO REBUILD MY WHOLE TRANSMISSION.. $1500. SEEMS LIKE I'VE READ MANY OWNERS HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AND IT NOT BEING AN EASY FIX. SOUNDS TO ME LIKE DOGE/CHRYLSER IS USING CHEAP TRANSMISSIONS THAT GO OUT AROUNG 80K-100K MIS.. TOO MANY PEOPLE SAME THE SAME ISSUE.
1996 Dodge Avenger 139,480 mi,
My tranny will run first gear for like a block right after start up and then even tho it is in drive it will act like it is in neutral so u pop it into neutral then back into drive and then all it will run is second gear and I havent had money or time to have anyone look @ it yet.
2010 Dodge Avenger 81,900 mi,
Car not shifting into correct gear,hesitates before shifting past ,2nd gear and also when shifting into reverse or drive car jerks into gears.
2008 Dodge Avenger 103,000 mi,
The shifting was rough and was slamming. Since the avenger I have has a life time drive train, I took it to the dealership and they told me that they had to replace the solenoid.
From 0-45 mph it shifts fine but when it gets to 50 mph it sounds like a humming sound starts
2011 Dodge Avenger 66,000 mi,
My car won't shift the rpm goes really high I had a flash replaced and the problem stopped now it's doing it again...it also accelerates by itself.
2013 Dodge Avenger 37,000 mi,
Seems like my car just does not have the get up and go, that it once had. before i drove it off the lot after I signed the paperwork on it. rough riding now and feels like it does not want to shift... another recall getting use to this......which is sad . I really do not feel safe driving my car any longer.
shifts hard from 2 to 3 it shureges inbetwen 2 and 3 shift
2008 Dodge Avenger 180,000 mi,
Car downshifts, almost stalls, and check engine light flashes
1995 Dodge Avenger 117,000 mi,
Hesitates before going into gear.
2012 Dodge Avenger 39,000 mi,
While driving 70mph on interstate suddenly downshifts.
2013 Dodge Avenger 37,778 mi,
shifts roughly from park to drive as well as reverse. dislike and not satisfied
2013 Dodge Avenger 23,000 mi,
delayed gear
1995 Dodge Avenger 109,000 mi,
Car sometime stivks in second or skips and slips in fourth
1997 Dodge Avenger 160,000 mi,
Sometimes it has a delayed action goin into gear
2013 Dodge Avenger 27,000 mi,
Another new problem too add with ongoing issues. Started my car and the car jumped a few times.. While driving, the car would Not switch gears. RPM was about 5 while going 30mph. I hate this car. Bought it brand new and I've had problems with it 4months after purchase. I'm getting a lawyer. I want my money back. Not safe for my kids and the heater has a toxic smell.