Car Problem Reports

Dodge Avenger Automatic Transmission May Have Shifting Problems

Dodge Avenger Problem
50 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Average Mileage: 89,679 mi (3,500 mi - 187,000 mi)

Verified

The automatic transmission can develop problems like erratic shifting, rough shifting, or delayed gear engagement. Repairs for many of these problems are outlined in service bulletins.

• Visitor, , 176,295 mi

1-2shift&3-4 shifts are very late. engine is way too high in rpm range for these gear shift points, and when it does shift, alot of the time its soft and feels weak... BUT the owners mechanic prior to me had over-filled the tranny AND engine!! I drained it & refilled to proper levels,no positive effects yet..

• Visitor, , 117,000 mi

Hesitates before going into gear.

•  Rookie

shifts hard from 2 to 3
    it shureges inbetwen 2 and 3 shift

• Visitor, , 37,000 mi

Seems like my car just does not have the get up and go, that it once had. before i drove it off the lot after I signed the paperwork on it. rough riding now and feels like it does not want to shift... another recall getting use to this......which is sad . I really do not feel safe driving my car any longer.

• Visitor, , 3,500 mi

My car starts the engine runs however it will not engage in gear. It was just running fine a couple of hours ago.

• Visitor, , 139,480 mi

My tranny will run first gear for like a block right after start up and then even tho it is in drive it will act like it is in neutral so u pop it into neutral then back into drive and then all it will run is second gear and I havent had money or time to have anyone look @ it yet.

• Visitor, , 103,000 mi

The shifting was rough and was slamming. Since the avenger I have has a life time drive train, I took it to the dealership and they told me that they had to replace the solenoid.

• Visitor, , 23,000 mi

delayed gear

• Visitor, , 109,000 mi

Car sometime stivks in second or skips and slips in fourth

• Visitor, , 160,000 mi

Sometimes it has a delayed action goin into gear

+ See more reports