Automatic Transmission May Have Shifting Problems on Dodge Avenger

The automatic transmission can develop problems like erratic shifting, rough shifting, or delayed gear engagement. Repairs for many of these problems are outlined in service bulletins.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 97,280 (3,500–1,400,000)
12 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
104 people reported this problem
69 people shared problem details
I had a few "hard starts" around 60k and 80k. It would flutter and not turn over. I would turn car off and restart, then no problem.. Tranny started slipping around 90k mis.. WOuld jerk between 2nd and 3rd gear.. After it hit 100k mis it began getting stuck in 2nd gear. Check engine light came on. One mechanic said it was the transmission cylinoid (electrical issues) another mechanic said the whole thing needed to be replaced. UPSDATE: I ENDED UP HAVING TO REBUILD MY WHOLE TRANSMISSION.. $1500. SEEMS LIKE I'VE READ MANY OWNERS HAVING THE SAME ISSUE AND IT NOT BEING AN EASY FIX. SOUNDS TO ME LIKE DOGE/CHRYLSER IS USING CHEAP TRANSMISSIONS THAT GO OUT AROUNG 80K-100K MIS.. TOO MANY PEOPLE SAME THE SAME ISSUE.
Upvoted (18)Flag inappropriate
1996 Dodge Avenger176,295
1-2shift&3-4 shifts are very late. engine is way too high in rpm range for these gear shift points, and when it does shift, alot of the time its soft and feels weak... BUT the owners mechanic prior to me had over-filled the tranny AND engine!! I drained it & refilled to proper levels,no positive effects yet..
Upvoted (16)Flag inappropriate
2008 Dodge Avenger103,000
The shifting was rough and was slamming. Since the avenger I have has a life time drive train, I took it to the dealership and they told me that they had to replace the solenoid.
2013 Dodge Avenger37,000
Seems like my car just does not have the get up and go, that it once had. before i drove it off the lot after I signed the paperwork on it. rough riding now and feels like it does not want to shift... another recall getting use to this......which is sad . I really do not feel safe driving my car any longer.
2013 Dodge Avenger3,500
My car starts the engine runs however it will not engage in gear. It was just running fine a couple of hours ago.
shifts hard from 2 to 3 it shureges inbetwen 2 and 3 shift
2008 Dodge Avenger180,000
Car downshifts, almost stalls, and check engine light flashes
1995 Dodge Avenger117,000
Hesitates before going into gear.
1996 Dodge Avenger139,480
My tranny will run first gear for like a block right after start up and then even tho it is in drive it will act like it is in neutral so u pop it into neutral then back into drive and then all it will run is second gear and I havent had money or time to have anyone look @ it yet.
2010 Dodge Avenger81,400
It stalls while accelerating and "chugs". Even does it while the cruise control is on, usually while the car is accelerating up a hill. It does the stalling or pausing when accelerating at all speeds. Trying to cross a busy intersection from 0 doesn't work!! Nearly got hit several times.
From 0-45 mph it shifts fine but when it gets to 50 mph it sounds like a humming sound starts
2011 Dodge Avenger66,000
My car won't shift the rpm goes really high I had a flash replaced and the problem stopped now it's doing it also accelerates by itself.
2013 Dodge Avenger23,000
delayed gear
2013 Dodge Avenger37,778
shifts roughly from park to drive as well as reverse. dislike and not satisfied
1997 Dodge Avenger160,000
Sometimes it has a delayed action goin into gear
2010 Dodge Avenger81,900
Car not shifting into correct gear,hesitates before shifting past ,2nd gear and also when shifting into reverse or drive car jerks into gears.
1995 Dodge Avenger109,000
Car sometime stivks in second or skips and slips in fourth
2010 Dodge Avenger1,400,000
My car was having a hard time going into 3rd gear . gear ratio sensor and selonoid pack was leaking also input and output speed sensor were all codes that needed fixing
trans shifts rough sometimes after slowing down and recently has been slipping after the vehicle has stopped.
2008 Dodge Avenger122,000
problem shifting at rpms
Due to a problem with the rear drain, the sunroof may develop a leak into the passenger area....
may have cracked 5 lead going into distributor.
My front main seal inside the transmission was leaking for quite a whike before I realized it t...
they said I needed to replace the Alternator so I did no light came on for about a week now its...
it wont shift out of second. it run fine but just wont shift.