2004 Volvo XC90 Q&A

2004 Volvo XC90 Question: Are transmission problems common on 2004 XC90 models with 6 Cylinder Turbo?

I'm looking at buying a 2004 XC90 with 137,000 miles on it. My dealership (currently have a 2004 S60 2.5T AWD) says that model has transmission problems. Has anyone else had that experience? The vehicle currently has the message "gear selection reduced function" on it, but seems to be shifting fine. The PRND lights next to the gearshift and Winter Mode seem to be the only things impacted by that. I just want to be sure this isn't foreshadowing of something more severe and expensive. -
Yes, these do have automatic transmission failure issues, and if that message is appearing you may be looking at a new transmission. -
Yes, they have problems with the transmission and if you pressure the dealer the factory will replace it for free. I did it that way. Good luck. -
yes the xc90 all have transmission problems. I bought a 2004 just 3 weeks ago. It has 107000 mil. the transmission went out a week after I bought it. I paid 2750.00 to rebuild it. My guy has had it for three week and can not get it fixed. -