Lexus Q&A

2005 Lexus RX330 Question: Are there any signs of transfer case problem?

Jenniferlien168, 3.3L V6, Holmdel, NJ, February 15, 2011, 08:57

I brough my car to Lexus Service for recall on Brake Master Cylinder Cup, and 60000miles maintenance, service rep call me an hour later said that there is wet at transfer case, and need to replace which cost $1724.00 plus tax, I told him
I don't smell gas, and I also keep a record when I fill up the gas, and the mileages used, there is no sign of gas leak.
Could you explain what are the problem, and if need to fix it, what is the reasonable price? thank you so much, and hope to hear from you ASAP, my car at the dealer now.

Jennifer

1 Answer

February 15, 2011, 09:02

your transfer case does not have gas in it. that would come from the tank or a line.
    if it is wet, then did you question them about re sealing it?? it makes more sense than replacing it unless there is a bigger problem.
    the key here is to get some more answers before determining if the case has to be replaced.

Roy

Jenniferlien168, February 15, 2011, 10:06

Hi Roy,
    Thank you so much for the information, I plan to go to the service center later, ask them to show me the leaking area, what kind of signs I need to look for to determine there is need to be fix, or can be wait for later?.

Jennifer

Visitor, February 15, 2011, 10:16

good move. have them show you.
    if the leak is excessive, such as you see fluid on the ground everyday, then yes, it needs to be repaired.
    ask them why they cannot re seal the unit. if they decline, take it somewhere else for a second opinion.

Roy