Oldsmobile Q&A

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada Question: Are there any problems with the 97' Bravada to cause it to sputter and die?

Bravada97, Mount Pleasant, NC, December 19, 2011, 08:34

I ahve a 97' Olds Bravada that I bought a few years ago. It ran great when I bought it. One day I filled the gas tank, not long after purchase, and gas poured out. There was a "Mickey Mouse" hose going into the gas tank.(A garden hose to be precise) I took it to a mechanic and he had to replace the fuel pump. After that (and $600 later) I drove it from South Carolina to North carolina, about 3 hrs or so, without a single issue. After awhile I noticed it was sputtering a bit. I had changed out plugs and wires, O2 sensors, fuel filters, fuel pump filter, fuel lines...The truck runs on startup fantastic still, but when it warms up and I go to accelerate, it sputters harshly and stalls. When I shut it down and turn it back on it runs for a few seconds the stalls again. I can't drive 20 feet with it. I need to know what I am missing as far as causes for this. I am awaiting the results for a system code test, but my fther in law is a Mechanic and has been workin on this for almost 6 months to get me back on the road. I read somewhere about a sensor or valve located beneath the fuel injector spider assembly that is a common fuel system problem with this make and model. I need to know "ALL" additional problems with the fuel system that would cause this to happen. There is no loss in fuel pressure at all, but once the accelerator is pressed, it's like there is a huge hole somewhere cutting off the flow of fuel to the injectors. ANY help on this would be appreciated.

Keith

1 Answer

mrbent2u December 20, 2011, 08:33

i would look for spark. if it is light or yellowish it needs a igniton module. or a coil is failing from heat or poor grounding. check the wires that ground to back of driver side head also.