BMW Q&A

2006 BMW 750Li Question: Anyone else with BMW 750 transmission problems?

, Charlotte, NC, February 02, 2012, 09:31

My 2006 750 li has only 60,000 miles on it. On vacation last month 800 miles from home my transmission failed. There was no warning or previous signs of a problem. The nearest BMW dealer said the only option was to replace it, it could not be repaired. Seemed strange that a failure should occur with such low mileage. $10,000 later I was on my way home. I called BMW NA customer service and got absolutely nowhere. This was called a"random failure" and offerd no help. Needless to say given this kind of a response my BMW buying days are over

Greg's Orange Auto (15380 Answers) , Orange, CA - (714) 361-9386
    globalhelper February 02, 2012, 10:07

MY FRIEND ONLY WORKS ON GERMAN CARS AND HE ALWAYS TOLD ME THATS WHY HE PICK THEM CAUSE THE REPAIRS ARE FREQUENT AND EXP. THE WORST ONES ARE 6 AND 7 SERIES THE BEST ARE THE 3 SERIES. SORRY

• Medium-star Best Answer
    February 02, 2012, 12:45

I've noticed that the dealers always make the problem out to be worst than what it really is. They told me that I needed a transmission until I told them that it was still covered under the warranty. Then suddenly al they had to do was an adjustment. Watch those shady dealers.

, February 02, 2012, 12:59

EVERYBODY ALWAYS SAYS THAT BUT THEY CONTINUE TO GO BACK. PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT

September 13, 2014, 21:16

I brought my 2011 750li x with 60k to the dealer for a jerking feeling when you first start off from a stop. No codes but the dealer says it needs a trans. Fortunately I have an extended warranty but am dismayed that any car could need a trans on a 3 year old car with 60k, especially BMW's flagship. Kinda of reminds me of the toilet seat in the space shuttle. I think that also cost $10,000.

September 15, 2014, 14:24

I JUST BOUGHT A 2011 USED 750LI X DRIVE BAD TRANS. HAVE A EXT. WARRANTY ON IT .$8500.00 IT WAS COVERED.KEEP POPPING OUT ON HIGHWAY.

January 18, 2015, 16:01

I was on Christmas break visiting my in-laws is Alabama, 800 miles away. Transmission just quit without any warning. Had it towed to the only BMW Indy shop in that area and was told I needed a new transmission. I had the car transported back to Maryland and my BMW certified Indy gave me the same news. $8800.00 to replace. My trany failed at 77K +- Have you had any issue with your new transmission? I usually keep my cars a very long time. All me previous were 5 series BMW.

April 10, 2015, 23:04

I have a 2006 750LI - bought the car from my buddy with 60K miles and said to him the transmission was not right on the car. It was very intermitten but it would drop out of gear at times and back in quickly. Finally it just would not go into gears when car got warm but would run for just a short wile while cold. BMW said it could be ertain part or it would be $10K for transmission. Well it turned out to be this part but still now right in my mind, cost $1,500 to fix. I heard from others I could have taken it to a transmission guy who works on BMW/Rovers and he would have fixed it for $600 - so I suggest you try a transmission shop who can fix/service a BMW. It is mostly labor to get the parts off the trans to replace the not so costly part.