Any common known problems for just the engine temp mechanical gauge not working on 2003 GMC Yukon Denali

There is no temp sender on this vehicle. Is the engine temp mechanical controlled thru the BCM or PCM? All other gauges work fine and there is no CEL on. It does have the temp sensor at the front of the left head. I know a BCM replacement requires work with a TECH II scanner and online with GM and about $800 at the dealer. Thank you for any input.

by in Springfield, OR on May 15, 2012
3 answers 3 comments
ANSWER by on May 15, 2012
The temp gauge signal comes from the PCM which relays the signal from the engine temperature sensor. I would suspect the temp gauge is no longer working due to an internal cluster fault. If the coolant sensor signal to the PCM is OK when monitored with a scan tool, repair or replacement of the instrument panel cluster will be necessary. Please note if the original cluster is repaired, no programming should be necessary. If the cluster is replaced, the new cluster will require programming.
COMMENT by on May 15, 2012
I believe your reply is correct because I did find a Special Policy done at the dealers about this but his mileage and time are well past what they will cover. Thanks for your input. I don't know if you can tell but Roy knows I used to be on here quite a bit and plan to be back and answer some questions myself. Thanks again.
ANSWER by on May 15, 2012
Ron, you old dog, how are you doing??? you got Jim to answer you on this one.... Hope you guys are well. Roy
COMMENT by on May 15, 2012
I have new duties here at the facility and the other two. Very seldom do I have any free time any more which is good because it keeps me from thinking about Deb. I now run all the auctions, do all payroll, disburse inventory and travel to the facilities for auctions and maintenance concerns and decisions about how money is spent for the maintenance and repairs. Very but this came up about the owners vehicle. I found where there was a Special Policy given by the dealers but the mileage and time are long past and very much feel that the Policy repair would have fixed because it dealt with the gauge cluster. I promise to get on here again but have just started doing the extra here at work and am still getting my feet wet. Good to hear from you. Do you get my email forwards I send you at times?
ANSWER by on May 16, 2012
Hey guy's good to hear from both of you, check out our blog Natelie did a story about some of my muscle cars
COMMENT by on May 16, 2012
Good to hear from you again as well. I plan to get back on here soon as I can get a handle on my new duties and can plan down/sleep time. Is kind of hectic right now with it all being thrown in my lap at once.