is there a reasonable way to replace alternator
Ford Q&AAsk Your Question
1997 Ford Taurus Question: alternator r&r
Answer #1lawrenceg September 13, 2009, 21:45Master
Here are the instructions:
3.4L DOHC Engines
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the right side cowl vent screen.
3. Raise the vehicle and support it with jack stands.
4. Remove the right front wheel assembly.
5. Remove the right tie-rod. Refer to Section 8 for this procedure.
6. Remove the accessory drive belt. Refer to Section 1 for this procedure.
7. Disengage the electrical harness connector and output terminal wiring.
8. Remove the engine control sensor nut and position the nut aside.
9. Unfasten the two alternator bolts and one alternator stud bolt.
10. Remove the alternator from the vehicle.
11. Place the alternator into position and install the two mounting bolts and bolt stud. Tighten the bolts and stud bolt to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
12. Place the engine control sensor in position and install its retaining nut. Tighten the nut to 11-14 ft. lbs. (15-20 Nm).
13. Attach the electrical harness connector and output terminal wiring. Tighten the output wiring terminal retaining nut to 80-106 inch lbs. (9-12 Nm).
14. Install the accessory drive belt. Refer to Section 1 for this procedure.
15. Install the right tie-rod. Refer to Section 8 for this procedure.
16. Install the right front wheel assembly and lower the vehicle.
17. Install the right side cowl vent screen.
18. Connect the negative battery cable.