The alternator produces the electrical power needed to recharge the battery and power the vehicle’s electrical system while the engine is running.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Battery warning light may illuminate
- Engine stalls while driving due to loss of electrical power
- Dimming of the dashboard and head lights
- Problems starting the vehicle
- Repeated need to jump start the vehicle due to dead battery
- Abnormal noise
Related Repair Advice
- The entire starting and charging system should be inspected before replacing the alternator to eliminate other problems that may be affecting the alternator's performance. For instance, a weak battery and/or battery cables can result in a failed alternator test.
- The alternator belt may be partially or totally removed while replacing the alternator, so if it shows signs of wear, this is a good time to replace it