Ford Q&A

1992 Ford Taurus Question: Air/fuel mixture or idle problem, or both?

MaggiM, 3.0L V6, Portland, OR, May 02, 2010, 19:52

I purchased this Taurus Wagon last September and the gentleman I bought it from stated it had an idle issue. I thought no biggie it's a quick fix. Now Im starting to believe that it is an air/fuel mixture as well as the idle being set way to low! When starting the car I cannot start it and let it idle on its own, I have to keep my foot on the accelerator pedal and "rev" the engine to keep it from dying. Anytime I park on an incline it stalls numerous times while backing out of the space, and now has started to die on my in intersections or on the freeway..seemingly losing power/fuel. I don't have any diagnsostic codes, as it just started to give me the "check engine" light when dying two days ago and I havent been able to get into a shop. I'm also hearing what sounds like a clicking in the right front tire only when I back out of my driveway--it almost sounds like the hubcap is loose, but its not.

• Medium-star Best Answer
    patrick mannion from Greg Solow's Engine Room, May 02, 2010, 22:16

The clicking sound won't be related to the stalling issue. Codes will have to be retrieved from the computer in your car to see what is going on. The idle is controlled by an idle control motor controlled by the computer in your car looks at input signals and then decides what speed the idle should be. Basic diagnostic tests are needed to see if the rough idle and stalling is caused by an ignition failure, a vacuum leak, fuel issues or loss of a key input signal to the computer.
    For more information there is a company that independent auto repair shops "buy" their information from that offer a very reasonable service to do it yourselvers. You can get a one week subscription or year subscription very cheap. The information is year make and model specific repair procedures, service bulletins, component locations, wiring diagrams ect.... great quality information same as the professionals have ,much better than generic workshop manuals from parts stores, much cheaper than the factory manual try http://bit.ly/mitchell_repair_manuals_online
    and get an online repair manual subscription.

Visitor, May 22, 2010, 05:31

This could be caused by several things, replace the fuel filter located on the drivers side under the drivers seat under the car. This requires a special tool. The other possable item is the fuel pump. I also had an idle air regulator on the intake go bad and it made it idle low and rough but didn't die.