air conditioning problem on 2000 Nissan Altima

air conditioner works sometimes. when it doesn't it's after using it then stopping car and the return trip it will not cool or takes moer then 5 mins. to work. can you help.

by in San Antonio, TX on September 08, 2009
1 answer 2 comments
ANSWER by on October 05, 2009
Rudy: My wife's 2000 Altima has the exact same problem. I called my son in Georgia. He is a Nissan Platinum Master Tech. He told me it is probably the A/C Relay. It is a little blue box type of relay inside a black box on the left side of the engine compartment. He told me that it would probably cost between $120 and $130 to have the system analyzed, but the relay costs between $20 and $30. It may be worth while to just get a new relay and pop it in. If that solves the problem, you have saved a lot of money. If it does not solve the problem, you will need to get it analyzed anyway, but it is worth the try. I'm going to do that to my wife's car. Glad I have a Toyota. It runs better and far fewer problems, but don't tell my son that! Best Regards, Cliff
COMMENT by on October 08, 2009
Well, Rudy, I tried it and it worked! All I changed was the A/C relay for a total of $23.32 and it solved the problem. You may want to try it too. Best Regards, Cliff
COMMENT by on October 15, 2009
I would like to thank cliff1366 for his help. Cliff that was the right answer. Here in Texas we use the A/C just about all year long. Thank you, Rudy Quintanilla Jr.
the car is making an air loss sound while driving with air conditioning running. does not occur when idling
The AC system may blow warm air due to refrigerant loss caused by a leaking low pressure AC hose. These hoses commonly develop a leak at the hose crimp connection.
occasionally, the air conditioning will start blowing hot air instead of cold air. why is this? Had a/c charged but situation did not change. Blows air fine, just not cold all the time.
air condition-not pushing out cold air--slightly cool--already added refridgent ---