Air conditioning problem on 2001 Volkswagen Beetle

The air conditioning on my beetle only works at high speeds and when I stop the compressor turns off. Anyone knows what could be the problem. I have already charge the system.

by in Antioch, CA on June 24, 2010
2 answers 2 comments
ANSWER by on June 25, 2010
When you say "high speeds", are you referring to the vehicle speed or the blower fan speed?
COMMENT by on June 25, 2010
Vehicle speed. Just as soon as I stop the air stops and just as soon as move again the air works and it ids cold.
COMMENT by on July 12, 2010
Could be a loose belt.Check belt for tension.When was the last time you changed belts?
ANSWER by on September 07, 2010
I have the same problem - a/c clutch only engages at about 1800rpm and above and blows nice cold air . when the RPM drops below 1500-1800 the clutch dissengages and air gets warm (of course) - A/C pressures are normal when engaged, static pressures are normal as well. Fan's work correctly, no blown fuses. CTS is reading accuratly. NOTE - No CEL or codes , no fast idle when cold, no fast idle when A/C button is depressed. HELP!
when turning on air car seem to want to cut off
New brakes, new tires, regular maintenance. I was very impressed with how well it was maintained. Has 155,000 miles on it. No new money needs to go into the car. However, there is some sort ...
I recently had a free air conditioning check up as it was blowing warm air. I was told I need a specialist to look at it as there was a pressure build up. Does anyone have an idea what the problem ...
In my wife's VW Beetle, the air does not blow very cold for the first 5-10 minutes, then seems to kick in and blows cold. We had service done within the last 2-3 weeks and the freon was topped up, ...
how much will it cost to replace an air compressor?