Reviews for Acura RL years:

Acura RL Reviews and Owner Comments

Acura RLOwner Reviews (31 reviews)
  • 2000 Acura RL
    dusxpress, Mac Arthur, WV, October 29, 2014 17:04
    I bought a 2000 Acura RL with 90.000 mi 4 years ago. Now it has reached 100.000 mi. I went one time on a longer trip (6.000 km in 2 weeks, the car was driven up to its maximum through Germany and elsewhere), for the rest the car is used very seldom (my main car is Volvo 940). Shame to say I did not do absolutely any maintenance on the car, except changing 2 tyres. Not even the motor oil or any filter, as I em reluctant to give it to any local workshop, and always postpone to do it myself. The car still has its original timing belt, which can cost it its life as a repair would be impossible to undertake if the timing belt breaks or slips (I live in Holland, but I guess anywhere else if the timing belt fails it would be the end of the engine). It is kept in a garage so it keeps its nice look. There is no rust anywhere, and the paint finish is excellent. I find the interior made in a very quality manner and extremely user friendly. The sound of the factory installed hi-fi unit (Bose) is superb, and its controls are greatly designed. The car does not have too many and unnecessary gadgets or steering wheel switches, what it has is just enough for highly ergonomic use. Bad remark can be made to the fact that (at least on my car, and that is very strange to me) there is no light on the A/C control unit switches, so in the night it is not easy to choose the settings. I am planning to overhaul the brakes (rotors are causing vibrations at higher speed sharper braking, which considering the mileage I find normal and part of regular maintenance) and replace oil, ATF, cooling liquid etc and all filters. Also to somehow inspect the alternator for brushes wear, and replace all the belts, and timing belt and tensioners. Car behaves excellent on the road and is very easy to drive. I gave it all maximum ratings as I never experienced any problem, and it is obviously not perfectly maintained at all. Another minus point would be the design of the upper edge of the inside door panel (upholstery). This can probably understand only drivers of Volvo 700/900 series, as the design on the Volvo is unmatched by any car I drove earlier (possibly older Mercedeses can be compared to Volvo). The Acura inside door panel is at the "wrong" height (too high) and it is rounded (while the Volvo design is rectangular and wide enough so that the complete lower arm can be rested on it (with the window closed). There is an armrest on the Acura RL door panel, but it is too low and not suitable for me. I've had and driven many cars, and my belief is that Acura RL can be a very long lasting car if maintained used correctly.
    Visitor, Miami, FL, May 22, 2014 09:14
    I had a leased Acura RX and loved it Then I bought a used 2006 Acura TL around 4 years ago. These are the things I had or have to fix: 1. air conditioning - fixed 2 times - last time around 10 months ago after been over a year with broken a/c 2. motor mounts - need to fix - bad for a very long time - incredible for an expensive car 3. battery problems - have the problem right now 4. trunk - paint is peeling. Looks terrible 5. glove compartment - the front cover looks melted and bubbly, Looks ugly. 6. had to fix the front lights I thought an expensive car will last longer... mainly because is an Acura.
    Visitor, Los Angeles, CA, January 21, 2014 01:00
    This is the best car ive ever owned. I love it.
  • 1997 Acura RL
    Visitor, Baltimore, MD, January 10, 2014 06:17
    my 1997 acura tcs and abs lights are on I would like to know why my car stalls to accelerate when the tcs system is engaged but when its off it runs fine
    Visitor, Portland, OR, April 07, 2013 00:03
    I first have only one concern, the SRS light is on and I understand there was a recall to fix the sensor I believe. I will take it to the Acura dealership and need to make a point to take the time to do it. Now, for the review... you're going to be jealous when I tell you this car was purchased brand new (13 miles) in December of 2002 and it has only 21,500 miles on it now! The car was purchased by Mom and with her living downtown, doesn't need to drive much. It has been totally flawless mechanically, visually, and comfort. I wish that it got a few more miles per gallon. There are no complaints so far and from what I hear about people putting 80,000 miles without major problems, this car should last another 15 years easily. So it has been easy on the pocketbook. I have a 2004 BMW 325i Sport pkge that I purchased new in 04. I have only 34,000 miles on it (low as well) and have been very happy with it. I know that in the next couple of years, we're going to sell one of the two, but I don't know which one yet. Tough choice between BMW and Acura top of the line. I fear that the beemer may command a higher repair cost when repairs are needed, but I love that car too, sporty and my style. But the RL is luxurious and comfortable and great should I take a long trip some day.... Your opinion is greatly appreciated regarding which one I should keep, when the time comes..... would love your comments. (nicknpdx@gmail.com)
  • 2000 Acura RL
    Visitor, Newark, NJ, March 30, 2013 04:40
    Kingsley Bayoh I have a 2000 3.5 RL, bought used in 2003 with 50000 miles. I now have 360,000 miles. A great car. I kept all maintenance. A lot of money was spent to keep it top notch. A very reliable car. The following were problems encountered since I bought the car 10 years ago. 1. emission control 2. Electrical Problems, such as alarm sounding off un-necessarily, that causes the fuse to blow off. Trunk does not open from inside. Steering adjustment control does not work. 3. Brakes does not apply immediately, even with new rotors including new brake pads. 4.Numerious gasket replacement problems, which is very costly. 5. Door regulator problems 6. Shock assober or strut problems. 7. Interior leader seats cracks, driver door shoulder rest, venial and seat bottom covers are not good. Overall the car worth keeping to the end.
    Visitor, Owensboro, KY, March 24, 2013 03:00
    Yesterday I went to open my console and the lid came off whats the deal and how do you fix it?
    Visitor, Warwick, RI, November 21, 2012 10:40
    AC unit went at 75K. AFS and VSA lights are on now (135K), but no codes to shut off as I had car checked by electrical repair guy. My AFS isn't working (lights don't go side to side or up down). VSA I can't tell. Now I *have* to bring to dealer (and pay the exorbitant diagnostic fees). I've also replaced door lock actuators on car - one at 110K and one at 130K 2000 RL went 212K when I traded it in for this one, very few minor issues. In my world I am 1-for-2 in the world of RLs. With the Hyundai Genesis looking like a nice car, I'm seriously thinking of that as a next vehicle.
    Visitor, Brookhaven, PA, October 26, 2012 12:23
    I BROUGHT MY 2006 RL IN 2009. IT WAS CERT. I GOT IT AT A NICE PRICE. I DID ALL THE MAINTENANCE AT THE TIMES THEY WS SUPPOSE TO BE DONE. KNOCKING ON WOOD, I HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH IT. IT RUNS LIKE A CHAMP. I THINK IT THE LUCK OF THE DRAW. THE DAY THE CAR WAS BUILT ETC. MON. FRI. AS ANYTHING IN LIFE NEVER DO NOTHING ON THESE TWO DAYS MON, PEOPLE ARE COMING OFF OF A HANG OVER OR SOMETHING. FRI PEOLPE ARE IN A HURRY TO GO HOME.
    Visitor, Chesapeake, VA, October 04, 2012 06:12
    I have owned several cars in the past...Geo Metro, Dodge Neon, Nissan Sentra, Toyota Camry and Infniti QX4. All were considerally lower priced than the RL and I have NEVER had as many issuses with interior or body as I have had with the RL.I went off of the Acura reputation and wouldn't have expected that this so-called luxury car would not compare to the durability of my lower priced vehicles. The console and armrest have bubbled and torn. Found some reasonably priced replacement covers, but it is virtually impossible to have it done without taking the entire center console out instead of just taking the lids off due to no visible screws. Also the chrome trim and front grill are disentegrating before my eyes. I used to love seeing the Acura body styles drive pass, but now that I own one my admiration has been greatly tainted.
  • 2004 Acura RL
    Visitor, Friendswood, TX, January 03, 2012 22:14
    front light panel not working
    Visitor, Northbrook, IL, January 02, 2012 18:59
    Ok, My 1998 RL only has 72,000 miles and I'm the only owner. Really no problems except minor ones but I do have a question for other owners. Every time I go to the dealer for oil change they keep telling me I need to have the timing belt changed. Have all of you with many miles on their RLs changed the belt? Last year I had a problem when the car would not start and had it towed but it was a switch that starts the ignition which is under the dash and was told the older RLs have a problem with this. Today I also had a problem as I started the car and it stopped. Tried to start it but no good. As I was told if it's the timing belt don't keep trying as you would destroy the engine so of course I had it towed again. They jumped it and charged the battery . Still confused because the battery is only about 18mo.old. Anyway would like a reply regarding the timing belt.
    Visitor, Tucson, AZ, December 26, 2011 14:36
    My car shift's really hard sometimes doe's anyone know what I need to do to fix it? I like my Car a lot
    Visitor, Arcadia, CA, November 10, 2011 09:05
    I was fortunate enough to find an '02 RL with 58k, in May of '11. The car was actually owned by a little old "man" form Pasadena, then a year prior to me purchasing the car, bought by a high end sports car dealer for his elderly mother. The car basically sat for one year, then the guy sold it, due to non-use. My only complaint about the body (3 stars) is the cover coat is starting to fail. The car does sit out at night, but during the week, at work, it is in underground pkg. I keep a good coat of polish on it and I'm crossing my fingers. I just had to replace the continental tires with new Michelins. Wow, what a difference! I really notice it during slow MPH steering. Much less resistance in the steering wheel. If anyone familiar with the Pasadena FWy in So Cal, this car handles very well in the curves, now. I went w/the V rated tire and am glad I paid the little extra. I change my own oil and when I did at 7,500 miles, the Penzoil synthetic looked new. Did not use a drop of oil. Can't say the same for my Chev Sub, which uses 3 qts between changes. This is our 4th acura and they are great cars. My Legend just would not die and I hated to see it go.
    Visitor, Randolph, NY, December 25, 2010 13:39
    I,am a 57 year old male who loves cars and owned 20 or more. I have worked in a auto parts store for 34 years. If we had to depend on acura rl's to stay open we would be closed years ago. This 1998 that I own is the best car by far I have ever owned. It now has 180,000 miles on it and other then recomended maintenace I have done nothing. SUPER!!!!
  • 1997 Acura RL
    kflehr, Raleigh, NC, October 06, 2010 06:51
    I bought my car with 68k miles and it now has 163k miles. Very solid and dependable car, but not completely without it's issues. This year I have replaced an O2 sensor, brake master cylinder and a brake caliper. I have a strut that has gone bad, a crack in radiator and the ABS has quit working, but the car is 13 years old. Only really bad thing was a relay that went bad and wouldn't let me start the car. That is one time it let me down. Has an electrical Gremlin, if you lock doors they keep trying to lock over and over and the interior lights sometimes flicker. Overall, I still like the car and it was a good purchase that I would do over again.
    Visitor, Hershey, PA, August 25, 2010 19:39
    Bought New 2006 RL - Excellent, Reliable, No issues till date. Did oil change based on MID (Display Panel). Replaced Tires 45K, Brakes 76K, Nothing else.
  • 2004 Acura RL
    Visitor, Carlinville, IL, July 05, 2010 12:46
    I have owned 2 other Acuras (Legend & TL). I bought this care in Aug 2006. No major problems until a couple of months ago. Car started leaking oil - rear main engine seal replaced ($900) & then head gaskets blown (arg). Put a rebuilt engine in it. It will be my last Acura:(
  • 2007 Acura RL
    Visitor, Virginia Beach, VA, June 10, 2010 12:55
    Overall has been an excellent car. Did have to have the drive axle replaced at 44K due to a know issue with center dif bearing. About to get brakes taken care of...expensive job so be prepared. I would complain that the rotors warped early and I am not replacing with OEM. Interior is first rate, materials are excellent; almost as good as my Audi A6.
    Visitor, Minneapolis, MN, June 02, 2010 19:29
    Great car. Beautiful inside & out - very minor repairs and im up to 205,000
    Visitor, Bensenville, IL, May 14, 2010 20:52
    1998 rl , we purchased 5 years ago. Thee worst car I have had Terrible to work on . Parts bare hard to find unless you go to the dealer and then watch out, you are going to pay!!!! 170,000 miles onthis car and many problems .The final one was a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head. Mechanics I spock to do not like to work on this car, say its a pain. Pain , thats what this car has given me plenty of!!!!!!!!
    Visitor, Worcester, MA, May 14, 2010 09:35
    60 ,000 miles - numerous electrical issues - master window controls have required numerouse "resets" - steering wheel lock ut issues - charging sysytem has reset x2 losing alll presets - preset driver settings not always recognized - just reoplaced both rear calipers -there is also a 02 RL in the family with 180K that has been flawless...should have stayed away from 1st new model year
    Visitor, Franklin, TN, May 07, 2010 09:11
    Bulletproof reliability and performance - 96,000 miles, no issues- cruises all day at 80mph, no oil consumed or leaked, best brakes in the world, excellent sound system, corners like my MGB.
    Visitor, Palisades Park, NJ, May 06, 2010 12:44
    I would urge potential buyers to stay away from the 2005 RL. Despite my vehicle being accident free I have had numerous issues with the steering column. It is still making noise even after being replaced. I have had the floor board replaced, the center console has been replaced and the plug adaptor replaced twice and it still does not function like it did new. Approaching 50,000 miles and my vehicle is having the transmission replaced three weeks after having the oxygen sensor replaced. I also had two light bulbs go out that were also replaced under warranty. I had to have two rear rotors replaced (not under warranty).
    novel30, Hartford, CT, April 29, 2010 10:00
    98 rl with 205,000 on it. I love the car but this is the third starter im putting in it. i heard theres supposed to be a bypass or something. if anyone knows tell me
    DavidsRL, Smyrna, TN, February 04, 2010 10:00
    I have a 1998 3.5 RL with 294,000 miles on it. Original everything and have replaced one oxygen sensor. What a car but showing it's age now.
  • 1996 Acura RL
    cman, Lebanon, MO, October 11, 2009 21:20
    We have driven our 96 RL 142,000 mi. And Love the car but we have had to repair the transmission 3 times. Because of something shearing in the differential area which I understand was a recall issue in the past. Shame that it can't be more dependable ! Can't decide to replace the tranny with a used one and try again ?
    02 RL, Austin, TX, April 18, 2009 09:51
    Original owner of 2002 RL - and am totally pleased with this car during 8 years of ownership. It has been virtually trouble-free, requiring only minimal repairs along with regular maintenence. 2002 Aura RL has classic styling, beautiful and comfortable interior, fantasit Bose stereo, handles great for a large sedan, and engine / transmission are strong and very reliable. I would highly recommend this car to anyone considering purchase. I plan on keeping this car for another 8 years and have every reason to beleive the next 80K miles will be trouble-free also.
  • 1999 Acura RL
    dudley_2, Meridian, ID, April 13, 2009 09:07
    I bought this car used with about 108,000 miles. Very good ride, very quiet and solid feeling. The brakes are amazing - don't follow this car too close if it needs to stop - wow! It has only had to have the needed services and we took a 3000 mile trip and all works great and it burns absolutly no oil or has any leaks. Not bad for a 10 year old car.
  • 1996 Acura RL
    tomgug, Millville, MA, April 12, 2009 14:21
    i love driving my car but it has an electrical problem where it kills the battery after a couple of days of not driving it. The brakes chatter or vibrate when they are applied to stop the vehicle.
    BigDecker, Texas City, TX, October 08, 2008 22:02
    Great car, I've put 167,000 miles on it and have never had any problems except EGR valves. Love this car, Acura RL's are rock solid cars.