Acceleration Problems on 1996 Honda Civic

I have a 5 speed manual transmission and when I put the car into 2nd and 3rd gear I step on the accelerator and I can hear the engine revving but it takes a good 2-3 seconds to start going. And forget flooring the accelerator in any gear because it revs the engine but the car does not move. Anyone have any thoughts?

by in Los Angeles, CA on April 03, 2010
4 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by on April 04, 2010
If the car has a manual transmission the clutch disc may be worn out if it is a automatic transmission heck the fluid level (engine off) if it OK I suspect internal automatic transmission problems.
ANSWER by on April 04, 2010
Your car is a MANUAL TRANSMISSION. You need to have your clutch replaced. Your clutch is simply just too worn to grab the pressure plate. When you have your clutch replaced, you should have them check your flywheel as well for things that need to be milled off of it. THIS IS DEFINITELY YOUR CLUTCH!
ANSWER by on April 05, 2010
Thanks for the responses but I am not sure if it is the clutch because I had it replaced a little over a year ago and have tested to make sure the it still works. Could it be something with the clutch? The other detail that I should share is that when I try to floor the accelerator, the engine revs but the car does not go. You need to feed the gas slowly in order to get the car up to speed. Any other thoughts? Thanks again for all responses!
COMMENT by on April 11, 2010
So my mechanic says it is the clutch like you guys said. Thanks. BUT...he also said it was the flywheel. I have never heard of replacing the flywheel and have scoured the internet for it but dont find much about it. My car has 199K miles so it might be the truth. Or does anyone know if my mechanic is making an unnecessary repair?
ANSWER by on June 05, 2014
Add a supplement called Restore 1/2 to gas and 1/2 to oil
I just bought my Honda, and already had my oil pain fixed, and a brand new radiator and upper house. But the day I had my radiator fixed I took it for a drive, and the car was really hard to accele...
accelerator pedal is steep and the acceleration is very poor. pls advise me on how to handle.
when i let out the clutch and then hit the gas i hear a svreeching sound in the transmission and my brake light flashes
I have an Acura EL year 2000. It recently ran out of gas and was parked for a couple of weeks. I put 6 bucks gas in it to get it to the gas station and then filled it up. On the way back home...
Just replace the cv booth a week ago. Everytime when driving from stop to 1st gear I can a knocking sound (tok), what's the problem? clutch?, suspension? engine mount?