A/C Problems on 2008 Volkswagen Jetta

I have a 2008 Jetta. Last year the A/C was giving me some issues but now is worst than last year. In winter, it would only get hot when it was as hot as you could make it. Now in summer it only gets cool when it is on the coolest setting. Sometimes it kicks in, but usually takes awhile to get cold. It kicks in faster when it is mild in temperature and/or cloudy. I tried having it charged, but only worked briefly. What kind of problem is this? Before I spend a $150 for the dealer to look at it, I want to know what I am getting myself into. Thanks!!

by in Las Vegas, NV on April 02, 2011
3 answers
ANSWER by , April 02, 2011
You could be getting into a temperature blend issue in the climate control, or an actual refrigerant and charge/function issue in the mechanics of the A/C system. Too many question marks from your symptoms - i'm afraid a local tech will need to break it down with you. Perhaps ask questions locally and satisfy your concerns prior to dropping the $150 diagnosis.
ANSWER by , June 16, 2011
ck myour cabin filder
ANSWER by , May 16, 2012
If you have a 2.0L turbo Jetta, then there is a TSB about contamination in the A/C system. if the technician removes one of the a/c lines and there are particles in it, the compressor, drier, expansion valve, and condensor (if not integrated with the drier) will all need to be replaced in conjunction with flushing the system out. Very expensive job.