The outer part of the clutch came apart and is rubbing together make a loud noise and smoking. I am wondering if i just need to change the clutch or the clutch and compressor? If having to change both, is this to where a mechanically inclined person can do or save the trouble and bring it to a shop? I have read that you need a certain refrigerant machine to change the compressor. Is that true?
A/C Compressor and clutch on 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Asked by for the 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by rcruiser ,
August 11, 2010
You need to bring it to a shop. If the compressor is bad, the refrigerant in the system will have to be evacuated by a recovery machine. Once the compressor is replaced, the refrigerant will then have to be recharged back into the system. Unfortunately, only a certified technician will be able to do this procedure.
- 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Repair and Maintenance
- 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Maintenance Schedule
- 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Problems(34)
- 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Repair Estimates
- 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Q&A(247)
- 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Recalls(9)
- 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Shops
- 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Reviews(3)
This week's top 10
Recent Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Questions
- While running down road acts like running out of fuel
- Secondary Air monitor won't come on.scanner reads air stat off. I changed c valv
- I'm installing a used transmission for someone. How much should labor charge be?
- I'm getting a p-0410 code but the pump works but with little air flow.
- Cab looks like its sinking backwards. Is there a repair for that?
2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Estimates
- Heater Blower Motor Resistor Replacement ($91 - $159) in Veneta, OR
- Door Window Regulator Replacement ($271 - $451) in Rowland, NC
- AC Condenser Replacement ($420 - $611) in Osprey, FL
- Steering Gearbox Replacement ($501 - $769) in Manchester, VT
- Steering Knuckle Replacement ($435 - $811) in Goodville, PA
- Fuel Tank Replacement ($962 - $1,173) in Marion, MS