My ac compressor suddenly made a loud noise and seemed to shake. Stopped using it, but when I turn it on to test it the pulley wheel has a noticlble wobble, this does not occur when the ac is off. I'm assuming the compressor needs to be replaced, but is it safe to drive as long as I don't turn on the ac. The pulley wheel spin freely when the car is idling.
ac compressor on 1997 Honda Accord
Asked by for the 1997 Honda Accord
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by Russ ,
July 01, 2009
You should be OK for a while as long as you leave the a/c off. The pulley may have been damaged also. It is turning OK now but could cause a problem over time. There is really now way to tell how long the pulley will last. You are probably correct in assuming you will need a new a/c compressor for your Honda Accord.
Verified for the Honda Accord8 reports
1 answerJune 13, 2010
1 answerJuly 28, 2010
1 answerApril 22, 2015
2 answersMarch 26, 2014
This week's top 10
Recent Honda Accord Questions
- Engine light illuminated intermittently.
- What would cause the engine to start and then cut-off after warming?
- Oil pan removal, i have all the bolts off, stuck on the automatic tranny cover,
- How do I remove a screw that fell into the steering column?
- My check engine light is on after replacing the plugs, ignition coils anf EGR
1997 Honda Accord Estimates
- Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement ($79 - $99) in French Lick, IN
- Brake Caliper Replacement - Front ($298 - $526) in Idledale, CO
- Wiper Motor Replacement ($161 - $214) in Springfield, MA
- Valve Cover Gasket Replacement ($92 - $146) in Oglethorpe, GA
- Wheel Bearing Replacement ($249 - $337) in Centenary, SC
- Stabilizer Bushing Replacement ($58 - $101) in West Hartland, CT