My ac compressor suddenly made a loud noise and seemed to shake. Stopped using it, but when I turn it on to test it the pulley wheel has a noticlble wobble, this does not occur when the ac is off. I'm assuming the compressor needs to be replaced, but is it safe to drive as long as I don't turn on the ac. The pulley wheel spin freely when the car is idling.
ac compressor on 1997 Honda Accord
Asked by for the 1997 Honda Accord
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by Russ ,
July 01, 2009
You should be OK for a while as long as you leave the a/c off. The pulley may have been damaged also. It is turning OK now but could cause a problem over time. There is really now way to tell how long the pulley will last. You are probably correct in assuming you will need a new a/c compressor for your Honda Accord.
Verified for the Honda Accord8 reports
1 answerJuly 28, 2010
1 answerApril 22, 2015
2 answersMarch 26, 2014
This week's top 10
Recent Honda Accord Questions
- where does spring go on fuel filler door
- my car loses acceleration and then bucks catches and then lurches forward
- brake & tail lights stay on after car is off and lights are not turned on
- WHY: Car starts but stalls after 2 or 3 seconds. No check engine light.
- S light staying on, TCU blinking 4 long and then one short quick one?
1997 Honda Accord Estimates
- Catalytic Converter Replacement ($415 - $874) in French Lick, IN
- Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement ($434 - $642) in Idledale, CO
- Canister Purge Valve Replacement ($138 - $181) in Springfield, MA
- Oil Pressure Sensor Replacement ($79 - $99) in Oglethorpe, GA
- Exhaust Muffler Replacement ($485 - $1,534) in Centenary, SC
- Stabilizer Bushing Replacement ($59 - $129) in West Hartland, CT