ABS Wheel Speed Sensor
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- A failing ABS wheel speed sensor can turn on the ABS light and disable the traction and stability control systems (if equipped)
- In some cases, the speedometer will stop working and the Check Engine Light will come on
- Improper ABS activation
Related Repair Advice
- In some vehicles, the sensor is incorporated with the hub assembly and the entire hub assembly must be replaced
- Wheel speed sensors are reliable, but may be damaged if they come into contact with road debris
- Many conditions—including corrosion, worn bearings, or other problems in ABS system—can set a wheel speed sensor trouble code. Any problem with the ABS system needs to be diagnosed before wheel speed sensors are replaced, as a new sensor may not solve the problem.
- ABS wheel speed sensors can be easily damaged during other repairs that call for the wheels to be removed (especially brake work). If you have had recent repair work performed, return the vehicle to the shop to inspect for damage.