Ford Q&A

2001 Ford Taurus Question: about antifreeze consumption problem

cmoreno869, 3.0L V6, Paterson, NJ, March 16, 2011, 19:46

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus 131,648 miles. I have it tuned up about 6 months ago and recently I have replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor because there was a check engine light problem. The problem is it consumes a lot antifreeze that I have refill it every other day. I also replaced the antifreeze cap and I check under the car and there is not leak. What could be the problem? Thank you for your help because I am really concern about it.

1 Answer

patrick mannion from Greg Solow's Engine Room, March 16, 2011, 19:57

Have the coolant loss checked before it results in engine damage. Could be a simple leak or as serious as a blown head gasket. The way an automotive shop would locate the leak is by removing the radiator cap and attaching an adapter that screws on in place of the radiator cap. Something that looks like a bicycle pump with a pressure gauge attached to it is used to "pump up" pressure to simulate pressure generated when the cooling system is at operating temperature, the leak is then found sometimes it is obviously leaking from a coolant hose or cracked housing, failed gasket or water pump, sometimes the engines cooling system needs to be inspected from below or inspected using a mirror and flash light. If the coolant loss is still evasive dye can be added to the cooling system that may indicate the source of the leak. A mysterious coolant loss may even be a sign of a head gasket that is not sealing well.