» » »

Chevrolet Q&A

Ask Your Question

1995 Chevrolet S10 Question: 95 S10 P/U WITH 2.2 NOT CHARGING

 

Question

jetncomptech, Wichita, KS, June 05, 2010, 11:48
 Rookie

95 S10 P/U WITH 2.2 NOT CHARGING

The small heat shield Chevy put near the starter got loose and touched the starter solenoid wires. I noticed the short right away because all power was lost.
I turned off the key and coasted to my home. I replaced the starter & alternator and now I can only get 12 volts from the new alternator and if I try to drive anywhere the battery drops off with the voltage gauge to the red and p/u dies.
The voltage at the alternator while it's running is only 11.9 volts and already switched the alternator at the auto parts place still the same 11.9 to 12 volts max.
I have put my know good battery from another auto in it and have been removed and scuffing up the ground areas and all fuses are good and never blew.
I've also been checking the little fuselink looking things all over under the hood and swapped the bosch relays on the firewall.
please help
The only wire damaged was the small ground that comes off the batter to the frame but only the rubber insulation melted away from it.

1 Answer
Flag This
  • Answer #1

    Terrance Mathews June 05, 2010, 15:22
     Technician

    Check first for battery voltage on the Battery termminal or biggest wire single hookup on the back side of the alternator IT WILL HAVE A PROTECTIVE BOOT OVER THE NUT AND STUD BOLT.!This is the supply wire to charge the battery.IF IT HAS VOLTAGE THEN YOU NEED TO CHECK FOR VOLTAGES ON THE PLUGIN ON THE ALTERNATOR! THERE SHOULD BE 2 WIRES IN THE PLUG.BOTH SHOULD HAVE BATTERY VOLTAGE WITH THE IGNITION SWITCH ON. iF ONE OR BOTH IS DEAD THERE IS AN OPEN FROM SWITCH TO ALT. OR OPEN FROM SOLENOID TO SWITCH.

    Flag This
  • Reply

    jetncomptech, June 05, 2010, 18:53
     Rookie

    Thanks Terrance , I only have one wire in the plug in at the alternator & no power there. So I read the switch module could now be bad & put in new one due to the short caused by the heat shield , also changed the ECU yesterday and have the same not charging. The lone small gauge wire going to the regulator is putting out almost 2 volts when the key is on. I also can't link to my OBDII now and the CEL is on. It's fixed I got the charging systems drawings off here from a very helpful member on another thread and traced the issue to the instrument cluster where I found the circuit sheet that makes the contacts to the plug in area had a slight wrinkle in it and I also cleaned the area using an electrical contact cleaner now I have nearly 14 volts on my gauge.

    Reply
    Flag This