Chevrolet Q&A

2006 Chevrolet HHR Question: 2006 HHR power steering problems

BriR, Fresno, CA, May 07, 2010, 21:03

Once my battery went low and I had to get a jump. After the car was started and charged the power steering immediately went out. Ow that I have learned it is electric how do I repair it. Is it a simple. Fuse that needs to be repalced or is it a costly investment?

• Medium-star Best Answer
    Visitor, May 30, 2010, 09:56

also had this problem it was a blown fuse, i think it was labled eps on the fuse block there about five bucks at the auto parts store.

Visitor, July 10, 2010, 20:37

While giving my sister a boost, my power steering light came on. Sure enough, the power steering went out. I read the manual and of course, nothing in there about power steering fluid. I understood I would have to go to the dealership. I will definitely check my fuses! It makes perfect sense that I blew a fuse while 'reving' my car to boost off my sister. It was a $4.29 fuse.Unfortuantly, the manufactor isn't honest to say check the fuse. Imagine, the cost to go to the dealership!

Visitor, November 20, 2010, 07:07

Which fuse?

jonjonmartin, January 09, 2011, 11:33

This was the problem with mine also! I did the same thing with the same results! It is the number 1 fuse and it is labeled EPS and it was $4.85 at the local parts store! This was a big help! Thanks

Visitor, February 11, 2011, 12:53

I keep extra fuses because I have had to change it several times

Visitor, September 01, 2010, 21:50

You know the battery is in the back and not under the hood. I learned this the hard way today as I also tried to jump a friend and now have to go purchase a new fuse tomorrow.

September 11, 2012, 06:53

I do not have the answer but I can tell you they need to do a recall 1000`s & 1000`s of complaints have been filled.My power steering went out driving down the road stayed out for months latter it started working for a few months. I got it worked on got new tires and the man tampered with the brain and it quit working again.I have had nothing but lights come on and off on this car.T/C light engine light stay`s on now also Its a shame I like the HHR But they have a LOT of bug`s all electrical..I bought it for trip`s but to afraid to drive far.Submit a complaint to Chevrolet you will be helping all owner`s of a HHR .Good Luck

January 06, 2013, 18:30

The fuse is under the hood in a box. They look like lego's and only cost $5. or $6.