Nissan Q&A

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Question: 2005 Nissan Pathfinder with Overdrive shifting problems

martinberry, Morton, MS, June 17, 2013, 20:27

I also have a 2005 Pathfinder. I've always flushed the radiator and put new fluid in the fall. Not until recently have I ever had a transmission problem. Unfortunately I have to run with the OD off. When it's on it jumps in and out of OD from speeds of 45 to 75. The Radiator coloration is good, however a mechanic told me that only Nissan could check the transmission fluid or flush it due to some sort of cap put on during production. Now, the local Nissan dealership has handled all the maintenance and repairs so far but has NEVER mentioned anything that may need to be preventive on the transmission. When I called them, I received NO return call. Given that I was out of town, I drove back w/o overdrive. Now they want me to bring it to the Nissan dealership for them to check it. Seriously, what should I do?..... A FEMALE IN NEED OF ADVICE! My 2005 Nissan Pathfinder has 189,000 miles.

1 Answer

Greg's Orange Auto (13627 Answers) , Orange, CA - (714) 361-9386
    globalhelper June 18, 2013, 06:42

POSS RADIATOR COOLANT LEAKING INTO TRANS. VERY COMMON SEEK INSP AND DIAG. IF TRANS COOLER IS LEAKING IT AMY BE COVERED UNDER CUST ASST PROGRAM

martinberry, July 10, 2013, 09:44

HEADS UP EVERYONE WITH SUPPOSED TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. IN MY CASE, NISSAN TOLD ME MY TRANSMISSION WAS BAD, ALONG WITH MY RADIATOR, AND MY DRIVESHAFT. AFTER A SECOND OPINION, IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT THE NOISE AND PROBLEMS WITH MY TRANSMISSION WAS INDEED MY DRIVESHAFT - OR TO BE MORE SPECIFIC, THE CV JOINTS, U JOINTS, AND MY WHEEL ASSEMBLY WAS THE PROBLEM. NISSAN QUOTED ME OVER 6,000 FOR REPAIRS. IT'S GONE TO A RADIATOR SHOP, A TRANSMISSION SHOP, AND A FRONT END SHOP WITH TOTAL REPAIRS OF 1,200. SO, THE MORAL OF THIS IS TO ALWAYS HAVE A SECOND OPINION.