1997 mercury mountaineer steering problem on 1997 Mercury Mountaineer

already replaced ball joints........steering is very tough..feels like the power steering isnt working...worse in turns...hope its not the rack

by in Algonquin, IL on April 21, 2010
2 answers
ANSWER by on June 23, 2010
How does one change the front axel of a 1999 mountaineer?
ANSWER by on November 18, 2010
I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer that started doing the same thing at around 78k miles, I was suspicious of the power steering fluid so I jacked the front wheels off the ground, removed one of the hoses that goes to the power steering fluid oil cooler, drained it, reattached the hose and added fresh fluid then ran the engine while SLOWLY turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and right to bleed all the air out of the system. This returned my steering to like new and the fluid that came out looked very contaminated.
The steering seems tighter and the brakes too?? It just stalls out whenever I make a sharp turn.
Last week the steering wheel has been hard to turn. I would have to push the gas and make a turn if not then I wouldn't be able to turn the wheel. I already checked the fluids
Could u tell me what could be wrong with the steering wheel
Both turn signals suddenly quit working. Emergency flasher also doesn't work. Fuses OK. What to check next?
i have read other answers and they talk of screws under the dash that when tightened remedied the problem, where exactly are these screws located or where do they go?