1996 Volvo 850 GLT problem with non-starts. Cranks but won't start. on 1996 Volvo 850

I really need some help with this issue. My 96 850 GLT has been giving me problems with non-starts(just had complete tune-up,fuel-pump fine,relay), I took it to a mechanic he did a diagnostics and said it was the ignition module. It turned out not to be that then he said it's my ECU so, I went on ebay and found one that is supposed to be compatible with my car. Here's my question the ECU I found was for a 95 but the guy said it would work on 95-97, do the numbers have to match my original ECU or does this matter? My car still isn"t starting with the replaced ECU. My original #0261204224, replacement #0261203165. Do I need a new mechanic? Thanks!

by in DeSoto, TX on April 04, 2011
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
2 answers 4 comments
ANSWER by , April 09, 2011
Ditto on the new mechanic. Find yourself someone who is experienced with Volvos or European cars.
COMMENT by , April 09, 2011
Thanks for the responses, it was my cam sensor and the throttle position sensor. That situation is fixed now I think my heater core may need replacing, due to coolant linking and my driver side floor is wet. Does this sound correct?
COMMENT by , April 09, 2011
Yes, coolant leaking into the vehicle is a bad heater core.
COMMENT by , April 10, 2011
Thank You. :)
ANSWER by , April 04, 2011
95 is an obd 1 system. 96 and up is obd 2, completely different system. you must match the numbersa exactly to work. are you sure about your tech?? I think i would get another opinion. it is getting expensive throwing parts at it. check our directory tab at the top for shops in your area. Roy
COMMENT by , April 04, 2011