1996 Volvo 850 Q&A

1996 Volvo 850 Question: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT problem with non-starts. Cranks but won't start.

I really need some help with this issue. My 96 850 GLT has been giving me problems with non-starts(just had complete tune-up,fuel-pump fine,relay), I took it to a mechanic he did a diagnostics and said it was the ignition module. It turned out not to be that then he said it's my ECU so, I went on ebay and found one that is supposed to be compatible with my car. Here's my question the ECU I found was for a 95 but the guy said it would work on 95-97, do the numbers have to match my original ECU or does this matter? My car still isn"t starting with the replaced ECU. My original #0261204224, replacement #0261203165. Do I need a new mechanic? Thanks! -
95 is an obd 1 system. 96 and up is obd 2, completely different system. you must match the numbersa exactly to work. are you sure about your tech?? I think i would get another opinion. it is getting expensive throwing parts at it. check our directory tab at the top for shops in your area. Roy -
Comment 1
Thank you, will do. -
Ditto on the new mechanic. Find yourself someone who is experienced with Volvos or European cars. -
Comment 1
Thanks for the responses, it was my cam sensor and the throttle position sensor. That situation is fixed now I think my heater core may need replacing, due to coolant linking and my driver side floor is wet. Does this sound correct? -
Comment 2
Yes, coolant leaking into the vehicle is a bad heater core. -
Comment 3