Volvo Q&A

1996 Volvo 850 Question: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT problem with non-starts. Cranks but won't start.

lovelylala, 2.4L 5 Cylinder, Desoto, TX, April 04, 2011, 19:19

I really need some help with this issue. My 96 850 GLT has been giving me problems with non-starts(just had complete tune-up,fuel-pump fine,relay), I took it to a mechanic he did a diagnostics and said it was the ignition module. It turned out not to be that then he said it's my ECU so, I went on ebay and found one that is supposed to be compatible with my car. Here's my question the ECU I found was for a 95 but the guy said it would work on 95-97, do the numbers have to match my original ECU or does this matter? My car still isn"t starting with the replaced ECU. My original #0261204224, replacement #0261203165. Do I need a new mechanic? Thanks!

April 04, 2011, 19:34

95 is an obd 1 system. 96 and up is obd 2, completely different system. you must match the numbersa exactly to work.
    are you sure about your tech?? I think i would get another opinion. it is getting expensive throwing parts at it. check our directory tab at the top for shops in your area.

Roy

lovelylala, April 04, 2011, 19:58

Thank you, will do.

Bret Bodas from RepairPal Test Shop, April 09, 2011, 19:54

Ditto on the new mechanic. Find yourself someone who is experienced with Volvos or European cars.

Visitor, April 09, 2011, 23:27

Thanks for the responses, it was my cam sensor and the throttle position sensor. That situation is fixed now I think my heater core may need replacing, due to coolant linking and my driver side floor is wet. Does this sound correct?

Bret Bodas, April 09, 2011, 23:41

Yes, coolant leaking into the vehicle is a bad heater core.

Visitor, April 10, 2011, 00:17