1996 Oldsmobile Aurora Q&A

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora Question: 1996 Olds Aurora V8 TCM Problem

I have a 1996 Olds Aurora with the 4.0 aurora v8 ( caddillac Northstar basically). I cannot locate the TCM. Is it outside or inside the transmission. Here is my problem... The transmission started slipping about a month ago. It would go from redlight to 40 mph no problem then it would slip right out... all rpm and no torque. Then about 3 weeks ago it will now go as fast as i want and its just has high rpm like it is stuck in 3rd gear or something. I thought it was the TCM not telling it to shift and I haven't got alot to spend repairing. I put money into it and it only has 81,000 original miles on it...runs excellent till recent problem with tranny. even with tranny problem it still has power in it, so I don't think it is the trans. PLZ HLP -
The TCM and Engine Computer or ECM are all one unit. If your transmission is slipping then it may be a mechanical malfunction, like a clutch pack wearing out, but first and foremost, scan the computer system for codes and get a data stream of the transmission while it is slipping, this will require a test drive with a Pro level scanner hooked up, and then when the trans starts slipping, you hit the snapshot button and the data will be captured so you can study it to see what gear is slipping and why, based on the various shift solenoid activity and the input and output speed sensors, fluid pressure sensors and fluid temperature sensors. A good ATRA certified transmission shop will be able to do this, in a short amount of time, less than an hour. -
Comment 1
I understand what you are saying but it isnt really slipping it is just not shifting. I will have a shop take a look but I was trying to do it myself, I am low on funding. -