Oldsmobile Q&A

1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Question: 1993 Cutlass Ciera Oldsmobile fuse / relay problem? Frozen gas lines

The Real Spunky, 2.2L 4 Cylinder, Scranton, PA, February 03, 2011, 13:52

It snowed, and was freezing outside.Tried starting my car (1993 Olds Cutlass Ciera) 2 days in a row,..but nothing. Got a new battery last night, because I ran the old one down trying to start it. The car is in my driveway, with snow (ice) underneath it.
The first time I tried starting it 2 days ago,..it started for about what seemed to be 20 or 30 seconds, and then shut off. It would not turn over after that. I went to the auto store, and bought starting fluid with ether, and a bottle of HEET. Dumped the HEET into the car, which only has about a quarter of a tank of gas,..and sprayed the starting fluid into the carburetor as directed. Tried starting the car again,..and it seemed like it wanted to turn over,..but didn't.
So, now I'm assuming there is no gas making it's way to the carburetor. I disconnected the gas line (where the filter is)..to see if any gas would leak out,..and it didn't.
So now,..I'm assuming this is a fuel pump problem.
Can someone tell me if there is a FUSE that goes to the fuel pump that I can check before I pay to have the car towed to a garage, and have to pay a couple hundred dollars to fix it?
My guess would be either the gas lines are frozen, and/or the fuel pump is broken.
Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to check to see if a fuse is blown first,...or if the gas lines might need to be thawed out?
Thanks
Ron - Scranton, Pa

1 Answer

February 04, 2011, 15:41

At this point, after trying starting fluid (careful with that stuff - it's explosive) and the engine didn't start, I think you have an ignition problem. If you had good spark the starting fluid would have gotten the engine running for a while. You could have wet spark plugs. Try taking them out and see if they look OK. Check to see if there's spark. Next, if you have frozen water in your fuel lines, HEET won't do anything for you until the ice melts and the HEET can circulate, dissolving the water and burning it off. You could have water frozen in the fuel filter too so you may want to pull it off and replace it. If none of this helps you, there may be other problems but like I said, if the starting fluid didn't get the engine running, it's not a fuel prolbem but a spark problem. I'm sassuming that the compression is OK, and that the problem is fuel or spark related, not a mechanical problem. If you think that the fuel lines are frozen, you could put a lamp like a mechanic's worklight under the lines and let it set until the lines are warmed up. Maybe overnight, be careful of fire hazards, etc.

The Real Spunky, February 04, 2011, 21:52

Thank you so much for the reply.
    I've been watching the computer every hour, hoping someone would reply.
    I just bought a whole new set of spark plugs, and I'm gonna put them in tomorrow morning, and check the fuel filter. I will get right back to you tomorrow with the results.
    I know my starter is good because I bought a new one a year and half ago.
    Same for the alternator.
    I disconnected the fuel line that goes to the carb, and tried to start the car (turn it over)...with the hopes of seeing some gas pour out,..but nothin came out.
    Someone told me to try turnin' the key on, to see if the fuel pump is running (I guess you only have a second or 2 to hear it)..but I didn't hear anything. Then again,..I tried this by myself...and there were cars going by at the same time on the street...so,..there was noise all around.
    I really am hoping it is just the spark plugs, or a fuel filter. I do not have a couple hundred dollars to replace a fuel pump.
    Thank you so much for replying. It is very much appreciated.