Acura Q&A

2004 Acura MDX Question: 04 MDX MISFIRE PROBLEM

Visitor, 3.5L V6, Fresno, CA, April 11, 2010, 19:33

Hello, my wife drives an 04 MDX. Check engine light and VTM-4 light are on. Have had tune up complete service plus tranny. Dealer says valve adjust scan comes up all cylinders misfiring even after NGK uridiums installed. Need some input.

Visitor, April 22, 2010, 11:35

I own an '01. Occasionally, the lights you mention come on when the engine is started. Usually, the VTM-4 light will go off after the engine is stopped and restarted. I found a hand-held scanner on eBay that plugs in under the dash just to the left of the center stack (console). It scans and will stop on a four digit number. I then push the "clear" button and the light goes out. This happens maybe two or three times a year. The Acura service manager said there is no serious problem unless the check engine light blinks. If that happens, immediately shut the engine off and get the vehicle to a mechanic. My problem and yours may have different causes, but I would try to find a scanner that addresses the problem. Mine cost about $25 and has saved me several trips to the dealer, some 60 miles away

• Medium-star Best Answer
    Visitor, May 08, 2010, 08:00

My wife owns a 04 MDX with the same problem and same lights coming on... I also bought a scanner that spit out the codes for each cylinder misfiring and multiple misfires. Now the vehicle is having problems such as running rough at idle when cold, and hard to start. I have heard that it could be a problem with the ignition coils or the EGR valve. I have new coils on order ($275 for 6), and I am going to replace them as well as the spark plugs once they arrive. I will let you know if it works...

StanB, June 16, 2010, 12:41

Hi there,
    I am experiencing the same problems you are with my "04 MDX. Just wondering if your new plugs and coils fixed the problem before I hand it over to the dealer?
    Thanks,
    Stan

Visitor, November 16, 2010, 10:09

the problem might be a cat clog or egr stuck open