Dodge Q&A

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Question: 02 dodge ram speedo problem

rwilson1047, 5.9L V8, Seabrook, TX, April 01, 2013, 17:41

I have seen this asked many times...with just as many answers. I hope someone can help me out with a little more detail. The speedo in my truck works intermittently, the ABS/brake lights are on, and the check engine light came on today. Previously, the CEL wasn't on, but I don't show codes for emissions. Only the P0500 code. Also, the gas gauge quit working and only shows empty. I have changed the rear speed sensor and the transmission speed sensor, cleaned the ABS module plug and module, checked the wiring to the PDM, and all the wiring to the sensors. I have read that people have had problems with the ignition switches, but not sure if this is my problem. I don't want to spend the $300 on and ABS module without knowing that is the problem. Is there any way to test the module without replacing it?

1 Answer

arturo08 April 02, 2013, 00:52

your fuel gauge may have stopped working due to sender failure. you will have to pull gas tank to fix this issue. rec. replacing fuel tank at same time as pulling fuel tank is not cheap. wouldn't want to do it twice if fuel pump fails soon after.
    rec. fuel system clean. ethanol treatment to 1 tank of premium fuel. ethanol blend in fuel causes build up in fuel system, combustion chambers, exhaust system and causes increased wear to spark plugs. this over all build up can trip sensors related to combustion and exhaust.
    as for the speedo, possible issue not with the sensors but with the cluster. talk to the tech. and ask if just that instrument gauge can be replaced. is not likely but worth a try. new cluster aprox. $900.00.
    other option is using aftermarket speedo mounted else where on dash.
    other than that i have no other ideas.

rwilson1047, April 02, 2013, 16:21

Thanks for the reply, Arturo. But, I think we have the issue on the run. I borrowed a buddy's scanner today and hooked it to the truck while driving. The speedo sensor appears to be losing signal when you hit a bump, and I think the fuel gauge issue may be related. I am going to check the wiring to the cluster, and to the ignition switch this week. I am also going to check the dash ground wire to make sure I don't have any corrosion on it. I run fuel system cleaner in it about every 10 tanks, just like all of my other engines (Isuzu, boat, lawn mower, etc.) and don't have any issues with any of them. I will post later with the results. Maybe all my frustration can save someone else a lot of headaches!

arturo08, April 02, 2013, 16:30